What is the purpose of making divorce so hard?

I am curious about this because back in the day, I assumed this was to encourage people to stay together and work things out which I can respect. A lot of people treat marriage like it isn't a big deal these days but now... People are getting divorced more than ever so clearly this isn't working. Maybe they need to focus on giving people incentives to stay together and stop charging so much if they decide to give up. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main purpose is that they want to make it hard so that people don't get divorces as often. Divorce should usually be the last resort. 

But, I can see that being together with someone is ideal, in that it benefits both parties, but these days marriage is less popular than it once was, and I think that's another reason so many are willing to divorce more often. 

Making it hard likely encourages people to work out their problems first. I agree with that divorce should be the last option. There are counselors that help couples as well as other options be it through the church or what have you. I think everything should be tried and "trial separation" should be used only sparingly.